Emeritus Professor John Akokpari
Room 5.29, Robert Leslie Social
- Politics Department Postgraduate Committee
Research, Knowledge Exchange and Impact
- African politics
- International relations
- Political economy
- Comparative politics
POL1005S Introduction to Politics B
POL3045S Global Governance
POL4057F/POL5043F Regionalism in Africa
POL4033F African Politics
- Atta-Asamoah, A 2014; Transnational Security Challenges and Statehood in Africa: A Case Study of Drug Trafficking in Ghana.
- Azevedo, Elisabete 2009; Elected Legislatures in Sub-Saharan Africa: Attitudes of Citizens from 18 Countries towards Legislatures, with a particular focus on Mozambique, its Assembly and Parliamentarians.
- Ancas, Sarah (JT) 2011; Peacemaking in Africa – A critical analysis of the relationship between the African Union and African sub-regional organizations in recent peacemaking initiatives.
- Bagwandeen, Mandira (IR) 2013; Will Iranian Oil Still Fuel China? An Analysis of Beijing’s Stance on International Sanctions Against Iran.
- Boynton, Elspeth (IR) 2015; Protectionism and South Africa’s National Migration Policy.
- Bybee, Megan (IR) 2015; Water Governance & International Cooperation over Trans-Boundary Water Courses in Southern Africa: The Case of the Okavango River Basin.
- Duthie, Shawn (IR) 2013; Beyond the rhetoric: A theoretical analysis of the effects of neo-patrimonialism and inter-governmentalism on the integration process in Africa.
- Edmonds, Gina (IR) 2012; The Next Scramble for Africa? A Critical Analysis of the Implications of Foreign Investment in Sub-Saharan Africa: a study of Mozambique.
- Eyles, Rupert (IR) 2012; Bananas? A review of applications of ripeness theory in Southern Africa.
- Harry, Priya (IR) 2011; Preventing the Resource Curse? An examination of the Chad-Cameroon Pipeline Project.
- Kadyamatimba, Tafadzwa (IR) 2012; Food security in Zimbabwe: An exploration of the causes.
- Kim, Suweon (IR) 2009; Leadership and Bureaucracy in Developmental States: Case studies of Korea and Ghana.
- Kiprota, Sally (IR) 2012; The East African Community (EAC): Achievements and challenges since 2001.
- Knoetze, Christopher (IR) 2015; Food Security and Sovereignty in Malawi: Foreign aid’s role in impeding the access and availability of food in Malawi.
- Lobban, Ryan (IR) 2011;The Merits of the Human Security Paradigm: A Materialist Account of Peasant Insecurity in sub-Saharan Africa.
- Malimela, Langelihle (IR) 2010; Analyzing Thabo Mbeki’s policy of ‘quiet diplomacy’ in the Zimbabwean crisis.
- Mausethagen, Solvi (IR) 2010; The OECD and governance: Investigating the dissemination of ideas in national policy making.
- Mungwari, Patience (Development Studies - Sociology); Fighting HIV/AIDS Insecurities Using a Human-Rights Based Approach: A Case Study of Zimbabwe
- Nagar, Dawn (IR) 2010; Towards A Pax Africana: Southern African Development Community’s Architecture and Evolving Peacekeeping Efforts, 1996 - 2009.
- Nagar, Marcel (IR) 2015; Democratic Developmental States in Southern Africa: A Study of Botswana and South Africa.
- Nyoni, Tavaka (IR) 2010;The foreign policy of a radicalised state- the two level game of Zimbabwe's relations with the IMF (2000-2007).
- Otitodun, Elizabeth (IR) 2010; Post–conflict reconstruction in Angola.
- Penfold, Erica (PS) 2011; An analysis of the role of political actors in defining ethnicity and electoral outcomes in Rwanda.
- Pentenrieder, Justin (IR) 2011; What is the best timing for post-conflict elections? The cases of the First and Second Liberian Civil War.
- Radebe, Magcino (PPE) 2011; An analysis of the heavily indebted poor countries' initiative in Uganda.
- Sauls, Julian (IR) 2011; The Impacts of International Non Governmental Organisation networks on housing policies: A study of Kenya.
- Setlaba, Mosa (IR) 2011; Foreign Aid in Africa: An analysis of its costs and benefits.
- Smith, Liesl (IR) 2013; Revisiting Human Responsibilities: Prospects and Challenges.
- Thompson, Kristen (IR) 2012; Regional Education Initiatives: Lessons for Southern Africa.
- Van Zyl, Jeanri (IR) 2010; The Bretton Woods School of Development communication as an 'agent' of modernisation in Sub-Saharan Africa
(2013) “The Crisis of Social Cohesion in Africa: Is Regionalism the answer?” in Candice Moore (ed.) Regional Integration and Social Cohesion: Perspectives from the Developing World (Brussels: P.I.E Peter Lang): 131-154.
(2013) and Sarah Ancas “The African Union and Regional Economic Communities: A Partnership for Peace and Security?” In Tim Murithi (ed.) Handbook of Africa’s International Relations (London: Routledge): 73-81
(2012) “Is Electoral Politics a new source of Human Insecurity in Africa” Afro Asian Journal of Social Sciences 11(3): 1-24
(2012) “Environmental Degradation and Human Insecurity in Sub-Saharan Africa” Journal of Human Security 8(1): 24-46
(2011) “The Political Economy of Chinese Capital in Sub-Saharan Africa: Implications for Governance” Global Development Studies 6(3-4), Winter-Spring: 49-78
(2011) “Limited Capabilities, Great expectations: the African Union and Regional Conflict Management” in Stefan Wolff and Christalla Yakinthou (eds.) Conflict Management in Divided Societies: Theory and Practice (New York: Routledge): 151-166.
(2010) “Politics and Governance in Africa” in Korwa Adar, Monica Juma & Katabaro Miti (eds.) The State of Africa 2010/11: Parameters of Governance and Issues Areas (Pretoria: AISA): 69-86
(2009) “Migrant Remittances and Development in Sub-Saharan Africa: A Cautionary Note” Global Development Studies 5(3-4) Winter 2008-Summer 2009: 31-52
(2009) “Problems and Prospects for regional integration and Development in Africa” in Adekule Amuwo, Hippolyt Pul and Irene Adadevoh (eds.) Civil Society, Governance and Regional Integration in Africa (Nairobi: DPMF): 297 - 317
Past Student Supervision
Mandira Bagwandeen (2021) Is China’s Belt and Road Initiative (BRI) a Driver for East Africa’s Railway Development and Regional Integration?
Primrose Zvikomborero Joylyn Bimha (2021) The inefficacy of diplomatic responses to democratic crises: A study of the Southern African Development Community (SADC) and South Africa’s approaches to the resolution of post-election conflicts in Lesotho (1998) and Zimbabwe (2008).