Postdoctoral Fellows are usually individuals within five years of receiving a doctoral degree for the purpose of engaging in a period of dedicated research. Postdocs can be based in the department for a minimum 2 years with a possible extension up to 5 years pending a review of the postdoc’s performance.
Postdocs can join our department; through an application via the postgraduate funding office in which funding will be provided or can provide their own funding for the full duration of their fellowship. The postgraduate funding office’s deadline is in September each year. Prospective applicants are advised to submit their expression of interest to the department by August 15th to be considered.
We welcome applicants from all over the world, however, preference will be given to South African/African applicants, especially those ‘inline’ with Department Faculty interests.
- The successful candidate will be required to register and reside as a postdoctoral fellow in the department and to comply with relevant policies, procedures and practices at UCT. They are required to be based in Cape Town and spend at least 80% of their postdoctoral period at UCT.
- The successful candidates will be expected to teach, depending on the needs of the department.
- The successful candidate will be assigned a supervisor, an academic in the department who works in the candidate’s field of interest.
- The successful candidates will be required to conduct research and participate in related activities of the department.
- The successful candidates are expected to produce at least two (2) peer- reviewed publications in ISI-rated journals during the period of the fellowship.
How to apply:
All applications should be emailed to Vicki Sinden at: email@example.com with the following documents:
- A curriculum vitae
- A letter of motivation
- Publication and research plan