Guide to Conducting Research
Please read the steps below before submitting the application online.
1. Please read the following:
- Humanities Research Ethics Guide
- School of Education Research Ethics Guide (last updated 13 June 2022)
- Global code of conduct for research in resource-poor settings
- Communique: Ethics Approval - Senate Ethics in Research Committee (10 May 2023)
2. Meet with your supervisor to discuss ethical issues and requirements in relation to your proposed research.
3. You will need to submit the following documents in your online application:
- Completed research proposal
- Information letter/s for participants
- Consent form/s for participants. See examples of participant information letters and consent forms (also see a child friendly version).
- Copies of interview questions (or guide) if appropriate
- Copy of questionnaire (if appropriate)
- Supervisor's acceptance letter
4. Submit application ONLINE.
NOTE: If you are conducting research in a government school that falls under WCED, you will need to seek permission to do research in schools. Once you have received ethical clearance from the School of Education, please visit: http://wcedapps.westerncape.gov.za/research/index.php Mr. Meshack Kanzi is the contact person if you have queries (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Applications must be submitted online. For queries, please contact A/Prof Joanne Hardman (email@example.com).